Today's news
We didn't have our appointment Wednesday afternoon because the biopsy results weren't available, but my wonderful surgeon called last night to say that the cancer is Breast Cancer. Today we see my oncologist to find out what the treatment plan is and to set up a schedule. I'm anxious to get started!
Today is Monday, February 28th. I was back at work and glad to see my students, but will miss them for part of this week. I haven't told them, yet, what is going on with me and they haven't asked for specifics. I have another lung biopsy scheduled for Thursday. Last week's biopsy identified the cancer as breast cancer which wasn't much of a surprise to my doctors or me. The sample didn't yield enough tissue to complete the tests required to identify receptors for HER 2. If the new biopsy is positive for HER 2 then we have another weapon with which to fight this enemy. The MRI to examine my head was inconclusive. There was one small spot, but the radiologist can't say if it is cancer. I'll have another MRI in a couple of months to see if the spot has disappeared or if it has grown. Friday, I begin chemotherapy. I'll receive one medicine delivered via my new port and another by pill. I have several prescriptions on hand to counteract some of the more likely side effects of these toxic cancer killers. I'm glad that we are getting started with the treatment! Once I make up my mind on a course of action, I want to forge ahead without delay and get it accomplished as quickly as possible; whatever effort that requires! Thank you for your prayers and the outpouring of love for Dean and me during this difficult time. It makes the struggle easier to bear for both of us.
ReplyDelete